Type: Full Time
West Fraser is a diversified wood products company with more than 60 facilities in Canada, the United States and Europe. From responsibly sourced and sustainably managed forest resources, the company produces lumber, engineered wood (OSB, LVL, MDF, plywood, particleboard), and other products including pulp, newsprint, wood chips and renewable energy.
Our UK-manufactured products are used extensively in the construction, DIY and furniture sectors. Our brands, SterlingOSB Zero, CaberFloor and CaberWood MDF, are well known in the construction industry and are commonly specified by architects, national housebuilders and specifiers.
We are proud that as a certified net carbon negative company we lock up more carbon in our products than we emit making them, helping the UK construction sector comply with net zero targets and beyond.
An opportunity has become available for a Technical Manager at our Inverness site. Reporting to the General Manager, the Technical Manager will oversee a team responsible for the Mill’s product quality, quality systems and process improvement projects.
Some of the key responsibilities within this role include:
- Ensuring product compliance with EN standards and for all applications. Obtaining certification and setting up site lab and operations to comply with markets in other countries.
- Ensuring the mill Quality Management systems are enforced in accordance with ISO9001.
- Overseeing internal and external technical audits and assessments – CE, BSI, BBA.
- Oversee the functioning and maintenance of site laboratory.
- Drive projects and lead meetings for ensuring maximum yield/minimal scrap.
- Determining if raw material usage is aligned with testing requirements and site KPIs.
- Be the main site contact for chemical and timber suppliers, ensuring quality of raw materials are within specification. Working with the companies to resolve any supply issues.
- Driving business and commercial improvements, setting KPIs and team projects which reflect site targets.
- Provide technical assessment for process changes which may impact product quality or performance in the market.
- Oversee the performance/measurement of equipment output – raising significant changes/concerns to the wider management team.
- Optimise and introduce online measuring systems which help feedback parameters of the product for monitoring. Plan, develop and implement systems for operator parameter guidance.
- Liaise with Technical sales regarding new products/markets/R&D and identify mill requirements for implementation.
- Assist production management analysts in setting performance targets and track performance.
- Assist production with increase of product without compromising quality.
This list is neither prescriptive nor exhaustive
- The suitable candidate will be qualified to degree level, or equivalent, or have suitable relevant experience in a continuous operating environment.
- Experience in quality systems in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and product certification preferred.
- Highly competent in process parameter trend analysis, and able to present this to the wider management team and beyond.
- A proven communicator and implementer.
- Interpersonal skills must allow the successful candidate to not only influence people internally but also to relate effectively to our customers, suppliers and regulators.
- Evidence of a commercial focus on the part of the individual would be a distinct advantage.
Competitive salary with benefits package, including company pension, health care scheme, profit sharing scheme, amongst others.
If you are interested in applying, please send your current CV and a letter of application to our HR Team – [email protected]